Looking for a new job? Don’t waste your time on job boards.
Job boards are obsolete? Seriously? They aren’t 100% obsolete but if you are applying to online job boards, understand that you are 1 in 250 people applying to that job. An article from 2 years ago mentioned that only 2% of job seekers get interviewed. So, what should you do? Try these things to boost your success rate in searching for your next job.
- Maximize LinkedIn. Connect with hiring managers and with decision makers at the companies that you would like to work for.
- Get a recommendation. Do you know someone that works there? See if they can either recommend you to their hiring manager.
- Become a member of an industry specific group. Find a group on MeetUp to attend or join specific industry online networking groups.
- Find a search firm and get to know them and have them get to know YOU. Some of my favorite placement stories are when I’ve been able to connect the dots after meeting someone because we both took the time to understand what their ideal job was.
- Be patient. It will ultimately take more than 2 weeks to find your next position.
Need help with any of these? Send us an email and let’s see how we can help each other.